Skip to main content

Any step you take.

Way back in June I posted this to my FB page: "Most people know I’ve been struggling. Most people don’t realize I tried to kill myself last month. I managed to get help in time. Emergency services are amazing. Thing is; there’s no road map back to ‘normal’. My family, friends, boss, and co-workers saw me struggling, and tried to help, but I walked into the suicidal minefield anyway, and It blew up in my face, as everyone knew was possible. I survived.

I’m emotionally battered, bruised, and scarred. Now I have to navigate a path out of the minefield. It’s hard. Previous survivors have left tools and hints; but everyone’s exit from the minefield is different. Some of the tools have hidden triggers in them, and some of the hints head toward the worst patches - there is no clearly marked path. I can see the same people who tried to help before, on the edges of the field, cheering me on, offering extended hands; I can’t reach them yet. I have to find my way through a maze of triggers and minor explosions. Some days I feel like I go backwards as often as forwards, always looking for clear patches. Talking to people still in the field with me helps, but not too often, or more mines appear. I have a lifeline (thank you Crisis Team), it’s frayed, and can only take so much tugging - but when I get into real trouble, it can pull me out of immediate danger. For the most part, I have to do this for myself. I have to find the clues in my own head for the route out. Thank you to those of you cheering me on. Thank you to those who are trying to get more help to me. Thank you to my fellow strugglers. We can do this. It’s just really hard." I think I'm at the edge of the minefield. In some kind of buffer zone. Mostly clear of danger, with just the possibility of a missed mine. I feel like the support of family and friends is genuinely helping, not just cheer-leading, and my progress is getting faster. I can't take it for granted. This weekend, I forgot to take my medication (I didn't hear the alarm to remind me), and, well, it led to a bad night. One of self doubt, spiraling negativity, and revisiting 'how-to' plans. Not good. Now that I have family keeping an eye on me though, those feelings didn't get the chance to tie me in knots. I face today knowing I'm down, but aware that things are getting better. That I have chosen to live. That I can see a path to the minefield's exit. I'm going to get out. Derri

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Iggle-aggle-oddle-adle-ay

Toddler Talk.  The noises junior humans make as they create language pathways in the brain.  This week, I dipped into my meagre energy savings, and visited people I adore, that I'm proud of, and I'm lucky enough to somehow be family to, despite being related to none of them.  It's been a while since I've been around a toddler - I've got other family and friends with younglings; but toddlers are their own class of people. Small humans are as diverse and fascinating as any other group of people.  Yet they're harder to get to know.  A small person's vocabulary is still being filled with words, and a conversation is an exercise in patience.  Truly junior humans, are even harder, as their words are barely that.  With all of them, the trick seems to be giving them a gap long enough to figure out what they want to say.  Even the wee-est seems to understand that I don't   understand, and will try to find a different path of expression. Ma...

Not Today.

Not feeling it this week.  The positive 'self-talk', the silver linings, or the conscious realignment.  It's fucking hard work, constantly correcting the way I think.  Every single fucking thing I do, takes a ridiculous amount of effort.  I don't feel like telling myself well done for doing my laundry (so what?! everyone does laundry!), the fact it's been building up for weeks, and I ran out of clean t-shirts 4 days ago, doesn't change the fact that it's only bloody laundry.  Thanks to the industrial revolution, I don't have to do anything but take my things to a machine, and push some buttons.  Whoop-di-bloody-doo.  I don't want to celebrate doing it. I haven't vacuumed since I moved in.  In October.  The shared hoover is downstairs, and this space is about 8 x 3 paces square.  It should take me all of a few minutes.  When I finally get around to it, I don't deserve praise.  I haven't done my dishes in a while either....

Rollicking Rossini

One of the things I've spoken to my counselor about; is what I DO with my days.  It's not a lot.  It's struggling to get out of bed.  It's finding the motivation to eat something that has some nutritional value.  Time spent trying to find focus to achieve something, anything.  Chapters of books, instead of whole ones.  Small puzzles instead of massive ones.  Amassing enough oomph to go and buy milk.   And lately?  While listening to classical music. Music is profound.  There's a reason you don't play dirges at weddings, the William Tell Overture at funerals, or waltzes at the gym.  Music is an emotional shortcut (this is why movies have soundtracks after all), it signals the appropriate mood for the moment.  Toddlers are the best examples of how music can hot-wire your brain.  Ever seen one stop in the middle of a room when a lively song is heard, and boogie on down?  I've discovered over the last few m...