One of the most basic things I learned during this process, is that breathing properly is a hugely effective tool.
I've often scoffed at the notion that you need to be taught how to breathe 'properly'. Surely we'd all be dead if we were that dreadful at it. Turns out, no. Breathing properly isn't about doing it 'right', but doing it consciously. Using your breath as a weapon against pain, distress, anxiety, or stress.
I've begun to take a few minutes during my work day to remind myself of this. To sit outside, to breathe, to be mindful, and remind myself I'm ok. I can do this.
I'm also doing that thing. That thing where you give yourself positive feedback. I've been having 'chats' with myself in the car on the way to work. "Good work Me. I won the battle this morning. Great job. AND I showered. Awesome. I even made myself a sandwich for lunch. Bloody fantastic. Go Me!" I feel like an idiot saying it. I do it anyway - because it's working.
The Depression uses MY voice to tell me all of the negative things that shape my current reality. I'm pretty convincing it seems, and every therapist, counselor, and psychologist I've been to, has told me I need to re-frame my thinking (in one way or another), because MY internal voice is powerful, and I need to learn to use it for good instead of evil.
I'm struggling with fighting the 'voice' internally, so I've been using the quiet in the car, to speak to myself out loud. I breathe; and I talk to myself. I must look like a crazy person. But wait. I am. I have a diagnosed mental condition. I'm officially allowed to be crazy. So there.
I'm getting better at recognizing my limits. Instead of waiting for social burnout; I feel it now when I hit the manic spot before crashing. I'm getting better at recharging myself before I zone out for days.
On top of my own effort, I have to acknowledge the medication. With the chemical imbalance being helped, my brain is starting to figure this stuff out. How to shunt the negative stuff into more healthy processing patterns, and how to notice the good things (you mean, they've been happening all the time too!?!).
I feel good this week.
D
I've often scoffed at the notion that you need to be taught how to breathe 'properly'. Surely we'd all be dead if we were that dreadful at it. Turns out, no. Breathing properly isn't about doing it 'right', but doing it consciously. Using your breath as a weapon against pain, distress, anxiety, or stress.
I've begun to take a few minutes during my work day to remind myself of this. To sit outside, to breathe, to be mindful, and remind myself I'm ok. I can do this.
I'm also doing that thing. That thing where you give yourself positive feedback. I've been having 'chats' with myself in the car on the way to work. "Good work Me. I won the battle this morning. Great job. AND I showered. Awesome. I even made myself a sandwich for lunch. Bloody fantastic. Go Me!" I feel like an idiot saying it. I do it anyway - because it's working.
The Depression uses MY voice to tell me all of the negative things that shape my current reality. I'm pretty convincing it seems, and every therapist, counselor, and psychologist I've been to, has told me I need to re-frame my thinking (in one way or another), because MY internal voice is powerful, and I need to learn to use it for good instead of evil.
I'm struggling with fighting the 'voice' internally, so I've been using the quiet in the car, to speak to myself out loud. I breathe; and I talk to myself. I must look like a crazy person. But wait. I am. I have a diagnosed mental condition. I'm officially allowed to be crazy. So there.
I'm getting better at recognizing my limits. Instead of waiting for social burnout; I feel it now when I hit the manic spot before crashing. I'm getting better at recharging myself before I zone out for days.
On top of my own effort, I have to acknowledge the medication. With the chemical imbalance being helped, my brain is starting to figure this stuff out. How to shunt the negative stuff into more healthy processing patterns, and how to notice the good things (you mean, they've been happening all the time too!?!).
I feel good this week.
D





Comments
Post a Comment