Skip to main content

Different words, same meaning.

Bonus Blog for the week:

I've had to use all my emergency contacts today.  I'm as low as I've ever been, and I knew I needed professional help to help me stay away from the edge.


So much of their advice is interchangeable, and I wonder if these well meaning people, well educated people, are listening to what I tell them.  Yes, I've been struggling for a long time.  Yes, a major traumatic event triggered the more extreme Depression.  Yes, that was the beginning of feeling suicidal.  Here's the thing: MY TRAUMATIC EVENT IS ONGOING.  Losing access to my children, being denied knowledge of their well-being, this isn't going to end any day soon.  There is no grieving; then moving on, and finding new meaning in life.  This grief is fresh, every day.  The underlying Depression is there, every day.  Every day, the Depression gathers my grief, and hurls it against me.  Every day is a new deeply Depressed 'event'.  All of this means that the 'tools' and 'coping mechanisms' that are suggested to me, can't really help.  So many of them require me to be 'mindful', to practice 'gratitude', which are suggested as ways to move forward, move on.

I can't move forward, or on.  My reality is of loss.  Every day I have to accept the reality that my children aren't part of my life.  Every day is a fresh stab to the heart. 


It was oddly refreshing to end up talking to a new counselor.  My usual contact was away.  After explaining my history, to flesh out my case notes, the new counselor said "Well.  Fuck." a little while later she asked me if being 'mindful', and feeling 'gratitude' was helping at all.  When I could honestly say that no, I actually think it's making things worse, she suggested a new tool.  Selfishness.

At the moment, my entire being is about getting to a head-space that allows me to move forward and do well so that when I reconcile with my children, I am a healthier person.  After talking today, the conclusion is; that dwelling on that reasoning, is only EVER going to make things harder, it's always going to highlight the very things Depression feeds on.  So, instead, I'm going to try being selfish.

Which is exactly what every other counselor, every other doctor, every family member, every friend, has been telling me.  Look after me.  Today, somebody put it into a sentence that made sense to me.

I'm going to go to work.  Not because it's the first step to a brighter future, but because work is something I'm good at.  My job is something I am appreciated for.  The people I work with like me. 

After that conversation, I was able to get out of bed.  I even left the house.  I bought juice.  I bought bread.  I bought butter.  I bought my favourite biscuits.  Not because I felt bad, and was going to wallow, but because I want to feel good, and treat myself.

I'm exhausted.  There was a lot of emotion today. 

I think I've turned a corner.  I certainly hope so.

Derri

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Iggle-aggle-oddle-adle-ay

Toddler Talk.  The noises junior humans make as they create language pathways in the brain.  This week, I dipped into my meagre energy savings, and visited people I adore, that I'm proud of, and I'm lucky enough to somehow be family to, despite being related to none of them.  It's been a while since I've been around a toddler - I've got other family and friends with younglings; but toddlers are their own class of people. Small humans are as diverse and fascinating as any other group of people.  Yet they're harder to get to know.  A small person's vocabulary is still being filled with words, and a conversation is an exercise in patience.  Truly junior humans, are even harder, as their words are barely that.  With all of them, the trick seems to be giving them a gap long enough to figure out what they want to say.  Even the wee-est seems to understand that I don't   understand, and will try to find a different path of expression. Ma...

Not Today.

Not feeling it this week.  The positive 'self-talk', the silver linings, or the conscious realignment.  It's fucking hard work, constantly correcting the way I think.  Every single fucking thing I do, takes a ridiculous amount of effort.  I don't feel like telling myself well done for doing my laundry (so what?! everyone does laundry!), the fact it's been building up for weeks, and I ran out of clean t-shirts 4 days ago, doesn't change the fact that it's only bloody laundry.  Thanks to the industrial revolution, I don't have to do anything but take my things to a machine, and push some buttons.  Whoop-di-bloody-doo.  I don't want to celebrate doing it. I haven't vacuumed since I moved in.  In October.  The shared hoover is downstairs, and this space is about 8 x 3 paces square.  It should take me all of a few minutes.  When I finally get around to it, I don't deserve praise.  I haven't done my dishes in a while either....

Rollicking Rossini

One of the things I've spoken to my counselor about; is what I DO with my days.  It's not a lot.  It's struggling to get out of bed.  It's finding the motivation to eat something that has some nutritional value.  Time spent trying to find focus to achieve something, anything.  Chapters of books, instead of whole ones.  Small puzzles instead of massive ones.  Amassing enough oomph to go and buy milk.   And lately?  While listening to classical music. Music is profound.  There's a reason you don't play dirges at weddings, the William Tell Overture at funerals, or waltzes at the gym.  Music is an emotional shortcut (this is why movies have soundtracks after all), it signals the appropriate mood for the moment.  Toddlers are the best examples of how music can hot-wire your brain.  Ever seen one stop in the middle of a room when a lively song is heard, and boogie on down?  I've discovered over the last few m...