Have you ever seen Labyrinth?
Labyrinth was hired almost weekly from the video shop when I was young As an adult, I have it on DVD, and joyously share it with younger family whenever I get the chance.
In Labyrinth, Sarah (our protagonist) is trying to find her way through a maze, and (because it's a fantasy of magical impossibilities) is faced with the maze changing it's structure around her, with walls that are pretending to be doors, gates that are pretending to be walls, riddles, monsters; and whenever she seems to be making headway, traps and ambushes to halt her progress.
That's kinda how I feel this week. Making progress, then, like Sarah, I got cocky. "It's a piece of cake" she says, after solving a riddle to get out of a blind corner. She immediately falls through a trap door into an oubliette.
The Oxford dictionary defines oubliette as "a secret dungeon with access only through a trapdoor in its ceiling" There's no way out but the way in; which is a difficult upward climb, with no help, no tools, and ending up back where you started when you finally get to the top.
Luckily, Sarah hasHedgewart Hoggle show her another way to get her out. A way that requires re-defining the walls of her prison. Creating a passage that leads to a fresh pathway forward.
I have the support of more than justHogwart Hoggle, but unlike in Labyrinth, my Hoggles aren't going to find the door for me. My Hoggles can only suggest it's possible. Give me hints of where to look. I have to find and open the door for myself.
This week is about not giving up. It's about finding the oomph to start again.
Again.
Come on feet.
Derri
Labyrinth was hired almost weekly from the video shop when I was young As an adult, I have it on DVD, and joyously share it with younger family whenever I get the chance.
In Labyrinth, Sarah (our protagonist) is trying to find her way through a maze, and (because it's a fantasy of magical impossibilities) is faced with the maze changing it's structure around her, with walls that are pretending to be doors, gates that are pretending to be walls, riddles, monsters; and whenever she seems to be making headway, traps and ambushes to halt her progress.
That's kinda how I feel this week. Making progress, then, like Sarah, I got cocky. "It's a piece of cake" she says, after solving a riddle to get out of a blind corner. She immediately falls through a trap door into an oubliette.
The Oxford dictionary defines oubliette as "a secret dungeon with access only through a trapdoor in its ceiling" There's no way out but the way in; which is a difficult upward climb, with no help, no tools, and ending up back where you started when you finally get to the top.
Luckily, Sarah has
I have the support of more than just
This week is about not giving up. It's about finding the oomph to start again.
Again.
Come on feet.
Derri



Comments
Post a Comment