Last week was exhausting. My sister broke her leg. Until she's able to get about freely, I'm on the school-run. I can do this I tell myself. It's a short distance, go, collect/drop off, and return home. If only it were that simple. Even a short distance with the Youngster contains, on average, seventeen hundred questions. A simple conversation requires not just listening, but engaging in order to ensure I understand what they're trying to explain. Then there are the mood swings (these are not exclusive to pre-menstrual women). Cheerful Youngster will want to sing, and be sung with; cheerful Youngster will want to run, and show me things. Cheerful Youngster will generate so much energy I wish I could bottle it. Grumpy Youngster will throw a tantrum, requiring patience. Grumpy Youngster will be rude, requiring appropriate response. Grumpy Youngster will be unknowingly hurtful, requiring understanding. Kidlets also don't have an internal list of things to remember, grown ups have to do it for them. Did they remember their jumper? drink bottle? library bag? shoes? Watch where you're going. Say sorry to the lady. Check for cars. Have you buckled your safety belt?
All of which are normal, healthy, frequent, parts of dealing with children, as parents world over prove daily, gripping their sanity tightly until bedtime. It's what my sister does with endless patience every day.
To retain as much energy as I can, I get home and go to bed. To stay able to help where I can, I shut myself away; grateful that the rest of the family can give Youngster their time and attention. I can't. I'm empty. Flat. 0% charge. Fallen across the bed wondering how much sleep I can get before the next run.
I've done one family grocery run so far. I much prefer the supermarket self-checkout option. I can search the aisles; process and pay for the shopping; and leave, all without talking to anyone. Get home, help if needed in putting stuff away; and, you guessed it; go to bed.
This week? Will be tougher. Post Mother's Day, I have a doctors appointment, a counseling appointment, a psychologist appointment, and a friends get-together (which I'm hoping to have enough energy, to at least show up to). There's a lot of heavy stuff to be discussed.
I'm tired just thinking about it.
Hanging in here.
Derri
To retain as much energy as I can, I get home and go to bed. To stay able to help where I can, I shut myself away; grateful that the rest of the family can give Youngster their time and attention. I can't. I'm empty. Flat. 0% charge. Fallen across the bed wondering how much sleep I can get before the next run.
I've done one family grocery run so far. I much prefer the supermarket self-checkout option. I can search the aisles; process and pay for the shopping; and leave, all without talking to anyone. Get home, help if needed in putting stuff away; and, you guessed it; go to bed.
This week? Will be tougher. Post Mother's Day, I have a doctors appointment, a counseling appointment, a psychologist appointment, and a friends get-together (which I'm hoping to have enough energy, to at least show up to). There's a lot of heavy stuff to be discussed.
I'm tired just thinking about it.
Hanging in here.
Derri



Comments
Post a Comment