Skip to main content

Inner Bitch

It's been a weird week.  Along with my new normal state of 'low', I've had moments of ok.  Which is nice.

I spent time WITH my family and friends this week.  I ventured out of my safety nest, sat on the sofa with actual people, AND, I even left the house to spend time with others.  To my astonishment, nothing awful happened!  I might do it again.  Not for a while though, I'm exhausted.  It's hard hanging on to the 'now' of being with people.  I kept having to remind myself to pay attention, to not drift off into nothingness.


Concentrating on conversations which aren't necessarily essential, but are REAL; and so, valuable - takes a lot of energy.  Listening to a real person, engaging with them, responding, interacting, reacting, and speaking in turn, is considerably more difficult than say, watching a complicated documentary.  A documentary I can pause, rewind, re-watch, and it never requires my input.  It doesn't matter how many times it takes, I can watch the documentary over again until the information sticks.  In the real world, people don't come with pause buttons, and I only get the one chance to be in 'this' moment with them. 

On top of all of this interaction, I also did a minimum wage shift at a local manufacturer, so I could contribute something toward the costs at home.  New people.  New tasks.  New routines.  New rules.  New everything.  I enjoyed the complete lack of stress.  Be there, do that, check this, put there, repeat.  I didn't need to 'think' about anything more than doing that particular task properly.  Admittedly, I came home, ate (my sister had dinner dished up as I walked in the door), showered, and went straight to bed.  I slept for 16 solid hours, got up long enough to pee, make a cuppa, have a biscuit, and went back to sleep again.  It took more than two days to 'recover'.


All in all, a lot of positives this week.

Now to talk about the hard part, trying not to let it squash me.  Reality.  The 'real world'.  Big picture.  I made 'progress' this week and I need to keep that in the front of my mind, not compare it to how much more needs to happen. 

I want to be able to enjoy the week I just had.  I did all the things!  I got out of bed!  I showered!  I worked!  I kept appointments!  I interacted!  I worked bloody hard.  But the voice in my head is harrumphing and saying - it doesn't matter.  At this rate you'll never get out of debt.  You'll never amount to anything.  You'll continue to work hard to have nothing for the rest of your life.  You're exhausting yourself for nothing.  You aren't even covering your costs, you're a parasite on your family, they'd be better off without you, they must be sick of putting up with your miserable arse.

Jeez.  Typing that out was weird.  I really don't like me much do I? 

I'm trying.  Trying to be aware of my inner voice.  Trying to be aware of how I'm sabotaging myself.  Trying to work past my inner bitch.  Which all of us have to do right?  The Depression simply says, but what if she's right?


This shit is hard.

Derri.

Comments

  1. Focus on the small goals. Consistently reaching small goals mean provable progress and creates momentum. Thos big goals are just lots of small goals stacked menacingly one on top of the other. The big goals are scary, the small goals are not.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Iggle-aggle-oddle-adle-ay

Toddler Talk.  The noises junior humans make as they create language pathways in the brain.  This week, I dipped into my meagre energy savings, and visited people I adore, that I'm proud of, and I'm lucky enough to somehow be family to, despite being related to none of them.  It's been a while since I've been around a toddler - I've got other family and friends with younglings; but toddlers are their own class of people. Small humans are as diverse and fascinating as any other group of people.  Yet they're harder to get to know.  A small person's vocabulary is still being filled with words, and a conversation is an exercise in patience.  Truly junior humans, are even harder, as their words are barely that.  With all of them, the trick seems to be giving them a gap long enough to figure out what they want to say.  Even the wee-est seems to understand that I don't   understand, and will try to find a different path of expression. Ma...

Not Today.

Not feeling it this week.  The positive 'self-talk', the silver linings, or the conscious realignment.  It's fucking hard work, constantly correcting the way I think.  Every single fucking thing I do, takes a ridiculous amount of effort.  I don't feel like telling myself well done for doing my laundry (so what?! everyone does laundry!), the fact it's been building up for weeks, and I ran out of clean t-shirts 4 days ago, doesn't change the fact that it's only bloody laundry.  Thanks to the industrial revolution, I don't have to do anything but take my things to a machine, and push some buttons.  Whoop-di-bloody-doo.  I don't want to celebrate doing it. I haven't vacuumed since I moved in.  In October.  The shared hoover is downstairs, and this space is about 8 x 3 paces square.  It should take me all of a few minutes.  When I finally get around to it, I don't deserve praise.  I haven't done my dishes in a while either....

Rollicking Rossini

One of the things I've spoken to my counselor about; is what I DO with my days.  It's not a lot.  It's struggling to get out of bed.  It's finding the motivation to eat something that has some nutritional value.  Time spent trying to find focus to achieve something, anything.  Chapters of books, instead of whole ones.  Small puzzles instead of massive ones.  Amassing enough oomph to go and buy milk.   And lately?  While listening to classical music. Music is profound.  There's a reason you don't play dirges at weddings, the William Tell Overture at funerals, or waltzes at the gym.  Music is an emotional shortcut (this is why movies have soundtracks after all), it signals the appropriate mood for the moment.  Toddlers are the best examples of how music can hot-wire your brain.  Ever seen one stop in the middle of a room when a lively song is heard, and boogie on down?  I've discovered over the last few m...