Skip to main content

Who's That Girl?

Some of the greatest thinkers we know of; Plato, Aristotle, Socrates - pondered the nature of existence.  Who are we?  What is our purpose?  Why do we exist?  Over the centuries, other great thinkers have discovered more ways to ask the same questions.  Other than Douglas Adams' Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy answer of '42', the answer remains the same.

We  Don't  Know.

Are we random collections of molecules?  The creation of an omnipotent God?  A genetic mutation of a space going species?  Did we evolve through millennia due to superior intelligence? 

On a personal level, my fight against Depression has revolved around the question: Who am I? 

I'm no closer to knowing myself, than a cat is to recognizing it's own reflection.


There's the 'me' that my family sees, the 'me' my children see, the 'me' casual acquaintances see, the 'me' co-workers see, the 'me' that is seen online, the 'me' that friends see, and there's the 'me' that I hear in my head.  NONE of them are real, all of them exist, and I am to everyone of 'me'; as an actor is to a character they play. 

Every 'me' is a facet, a mask, a perspective; protecting the inner me, from the barbs and slings of reality.  Like the outside layer of a Matryoshka doll, hiding fragile versions within.
Matryoshka dolls are fascinating to me, in them I see a representation of growth.  You begin with the smallest doll.  The infant.  Then a layer that's bigger, and protects the infant, the child.  The infant remains within the child, gives it weight, a sense of self.  The third doll, I see as the youth.  Not yet fully matured, but more developed than the child, and so the infant too; encasing them both in another layer of protection.  After the youth, the adult.  Clearly developed, embellished a little, encompassing the youth, child, and infant.  Finally the maturest of them all.  The 'complete' person.  Containing all of the elements of life, infant, child, youth, and adult.  Within the whole, all the flaws, learning, experience, and growth the doll represents [to me].

After describing that, and added to my thoughts on the thinking about 'self', this is how I see myself right now: I'm the final doll, but hollow.  I have no sense of having something within to protect.  That there's simply nothing in here.  An empty shell.  For a long time I've had the visualization in my head of each stage of the doll being made from the broken pieces of the previous one.  There's only so much material to work with, so each layer is thinner and less sturdy than the one before.  


I'm learning to handle with care. 

Derri.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Iggle-aggle-oddle-adle-ay

Toddler Talk.  The noises junior humans make as they create language pathways in the brain.  This week, I dipped into my meagre energy savings, and visited people I adore, that I'm proud of, and I'm lucky enough to somehow be family to, despite being related to none of them.  It's been a while since I've been around a toddler - I've got other family and friends with younglings; but toddlers are their own class of people. Small humans are as diverse and fascinating as any other group of people.  Yet they're harder to get to know.  A small person's vocabulary is still being filled with words, and a conversation is an exercise in patience.  Truly junior humans, are even harder, as their words are barely that.  With all of them, the trick seems to be giving them a gap long enough to figure out what they want to say.  Even the wee-est seems to understand that I don't   understand, and will try to find a different path of expression. Ma...

Not Today.

Not feeling it this week.  The positive 'self-talk', the silver linings, or the conscious realignment.  It's fucking hard work, constantly correcting the way I think.  Every single fucking thing I do, takes a ridiculous amount of effort.  I don't feel like telling myself well done for doing my laundry (so what?! everyone does laundry!), the fact it's been building up for weeks, and I ran out of clean t-shirts 4 days ago, doesn't change the fact that it's only bloody laundry.  Thanks to the industrial revolution, I don't have to do anything but take my things to a machine, and push some buttons.  Whoop-di-bloody-doo.  I don't want to celebrate doing it. I haven't vacuumed since I moved in.  In October.  The shared hoover is downstairs, and this space is about 8 x 3 paces square.  It should take me all of a few minutes.  When I finally get around to it, I don't deserve praise.  I haven't done my dishes in a while either....

Rollicking Rossini

One of the things I've spoken to my counselor about; is what I DO with my days.  It's not a lot.  It's struggling to get out of bed.  It's finding the motivation to eat something that has some nutritional value.  Time spent trying to find focus to achieve something, anything.  Chapters of books, instead of whole ones.  Small puzzles instead of massive ones.  Amassing enough oomph to go and buy milk.   And lately?  While listening to classical music. Music is profound.  There's a reason you don't play dirges at weddings, the William Tell Overture at funerals, or waltzes at the gym.  Music is an emotional shortcut (this is why movies have soundtracks after all), it signals the appropriate mood for the moment.  Toddlers are the best examples of how music can hot-wire your brain.  Ever seen one stop in the middle of a room when a lively song is heard, and boogie on down?  I've discovered over the last few m...