Skip to main content

Start again.

Back at the bottom.  The pit opened up mid-week, and before I knew it, I was surrounded by the nothing, facing yet another exhausting climb from the bottom.


I'd been feeling well.  My mood was positive, changes were opening options to me, I was settling into my new wee nest, slowly making a couple of new friends.

The trigger, I should have seen coming.  I was hanging pictures.  Some were in their frames, resting against the walls I wanted to hang them.  Others had been sorted through ready for pinning to my cork board.  Photos of family.  Some of my mum; gone, a couple of my dad; gone, so many of my sons; estranged.  Of my friends and family remaining to me, all live more than an hours drive from me.  NONE of this is new.  I have family all over the world.  Family who respond to messages immediately.  I have friends I can call when I need them.  I know this.  Yet.  The act of hanging pictures of people who aren't in my life anymore was brutal.  Knowing I would never get another kick up the ass from my Mum, never hear encouragement from my Dad, and the constantly bleeding wound that is the separation from my sons; hit me like a ton of bricks.  Again.  I miss them so fucking much.


I had good things this week too, don't get me wrong.  I had a wonderful visit from my daughter-in-law who brought the newest addition to the family, and that put a decent sized band-aid on things for a while (baby cuddles fix lots of things).  The building I live in held a meet and greet, which wasn't so big as to be daunting, and the few people I spoke to seemed friendly.  Unfortunately, the thing with Depression is that the positive stuff gets weighted differently, and don't have the same grip; they have less staying power.  Plus, I ran out of tea bags.  So overall, the week was pretty bad.

It's really difficult to convince myself that I have any worth.  The Depression is well entrenched telling me I'm worthless, and is constantly telling me I'm a terrible person.  When an opportunity like this week appears, the Depression goes into overdrive.  Now it has proof.  See?  even your children don't want you.  See?  everyone else in the building is just being polite.  See?  they don't think to tell you things.  See?  No-one really likes you.  See?  nothing you do makes an impact.  See?  you aren't clever at all.  See?  you even ran out of tea bags you're so useless.  See?  See?  All this on top of it's usual litany of  you're fat, you're ugly, you're unwanted, you're stupid, you're nothing, you're no-one...

I managed to scrounge enough change together to buy more tea bags, which meant I had to get out of bed, get dressed, and go to the shop to get them.  I'll hopefully feel a little better after I regain my usual tea-levels, we'll see.



Derri.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Iggle-aggle-oddle-adle-ay

Toddler Talk.  The noises junior humans make as they create language pathways in the brain.  This week, I dipped into my meagre energy savings, and visited people I adore, that I'm proud of, and I'm lucky enough to somehow be family to, despite being related to none of them.  It's been a while since I've been around a toddler - I've got other family and friends with younglings; but toddlers are their own class of people. Small humans are as diverse and fascinating as any other group of people.  Yet they're harder to get to know.  A small person's vocabulary is still being filled with words, and a conversation is an exercise in patience.  Truly junior humans, are even harder, as their words are barely that.  With all of them, the trick seems to be giving them a gap long enough to figure out what they want to say.  Even the wee-est seems to understand that I don't   understand, and will try to find a different path of expression. Ma...

Not Today.

Not feeling it this week.  The positive 'self-talk', the silver linings, or the conscious realignment.  It's fucking hard work, constantly correcting the way I think.  Every single fucking thing I do, takes a ridiculous amount of effort.  I don't feel like telling myself well done for doing my laundry (so what?! everyone does laundry!), the fact it's been building up for weeks, and I ran out of clean t-shirts 4 days ago, doesn't change the fact that it's only bloody laundry.  Thanks to the industrial revolution, I don't have to do anything but take my things to a machine, and push some buttons.  Whoop-di-bloody-doo.  I don't want to celebrate doing it. I haven't vacuumed since I moved in.  In October.  The shared hoover is downstairs, and this space is about 8 x 3 paces square.  It should take me all of a few minutes.  When I finally get around to it, I don't deserve praise.  I haven't done my dishes in a while either....

Rollicking Rossini

One of the things I've spoken to my counselor about; is what I DO with my days.  It's not a lot.  It's struggling to get out of bed.  It's finding the motivation to eat something that has some nutritional value.  Time spent trying to find focus to achieve something, anything.  Chapters of books, instead of whole ones.  Small puzzles instead of massive ones.  Amassing enough oomph to go and buy milk.   And lately?  While listening to classical music. Music is profound.  There's a reason you don't play dirges at weddings, the William Tell Overture at funerals, or waltzes at the gym.  Music is an emotional shortcut (this is why movies have soundtracks after all), it signals the appropriate mood for the moment.  Toddlers are the best examples of how music can hot-wire your brain.  Ever seen one stop in the middle of a room when a lively song is heard, and boogie on down?  I've discovered over the last few m...