I'm in a leaky row-boat, with a sub-standard life jacket; exhausted from rowing against the current, there's a waterfall of unknown height and risk approaching - and I can't swim either.
Part of dealing with Depression, is learning the things that trigger episodes. I have a rough few months ahead. It's nearly Christmas, after that is New Years, then I get a mini-breather before the birthdays of my children.
Summer has always been a difficult time of year for me to socialize; I've never been 'outdoorsy' and I get sunburned easily, so I prefer to stay indoors - at a time of year when so many people are grabbing sunglasses, beach towels, and wide brimmed hats, I'd rather be inside listening to music, or watching the sports channel.
Nowadays, I have to also consider my 'triggers'.
Christmas -
I'm still learning though. I'm keeping in touch with my friends. I'm trying to find social; but not overwhelming - things to do. I've timed the funding for counselor appointments better this year. I'm as ready as I can be, and I worry it won't be enough. It's draining having to think ahead to possibly worse days, while fighting for today.
It's no secret that help-line callers increase, suicide attempts increase, and sufferers of Depression get worse at Christmas. Christmas is a stressor for everyone.
Derri.
Part of dealing with Depression, is learning the things that trigger episodes. I have a rough few months ahead. It's nearly Christmas, after that is New Years, then I get a mini-breather before the birthdays of my children.
Summer has always been a difficult time of year for me to socialize; I've never been 'outdoorsy' and I get sunburned easily, so I prefer to stay indoors - at a time of year when so many people are grabbing sunglasses, beach towels, and wide brimmed hats, I'd rather be inside listening to music, or watching the sports channel.
Nowadays, I have to also consider my 'triggers'.
Christmas -
- It was my Mum's favourite holiday, and I miss her terribly at this time of year
- I miss the Christmas phone call I used to get from my Father
- There are reminders everywhere that it's a time of family and forgiveness
- My friends and family go out of their way to invite me to things (making me super aware how lonely Depression is)
- Christmas events are full of people I have no connection to, loud, and crowded
New Years -
- New Beginnings (the Depression has A LOT to say about these)
- Seeing in the New Year alone
- Lacking resolutions, or drive to see change
- Reminder of achieving nothing in the previous year
Birthdays -
- I miss them
- I don't know what they would have wanted to do for the day
- I can't celebrate with them
- I miss them
- I don't know how much they've grown
- I don't know how much they've learned
- I don't know what they're looking forward to
- I miss them
...and these are what I can think of without even trying.
I'm still learning though. I'm keeping in touch with my friends. I'm trying to find social; but not overwhelming - things to do. I've timed the funding for counselor appointments better this year. I'm as ready as I can be, and I worry it won't be enough. It's draining having to think ahead to possibly worse days, while fighting for today.
It's no secret that help-line callers increase, suicide attempts increase, and sufferers of Depression get worse at Christmas. Christmas is a stressor for everyone.
Be kind to each other.
Derri.



Comments
Post a Comment