Skip to main content

At capacity

I used the alarm on my phone to get out of a conversation today.  I saw an acquaintance coming, and knew the energy drain was going to be too much to handle, so set a ten minute timer.  Even with that, extricating myself from an intense conversation took over half an hour.  Once I escaped the high drama conversation, I spent the next few hours wondering if I'll ever have that level of disposable energy again.  As I type this, it occurs to me that I do - I'm simply spending it on listening, not on raging against the world.


I can, and usually do, hide away from the world, and husband my energy resources for myself.  Rarely, I venture out into populated zones and interact, knowing my capacity for conversation is limited.  I'm trying to figure out how to expand it [my capacity] when dealing with other people.  There's a lot of flexibility in my limits, because family, and most friends, understand, and so are far less drama than mere acquaintances.  I'm my own worst enemy there, I like being asked my opinion on things.  I like being asked for advice.  And.  Let's face it.  I love giving it.  What's proving troublesome, is that I now need a few days to recover from deeply personal discussions. 


I feel real satisfaction in helping other people navigate a stressful situation.  On the other hand, it takes a massive chunk of mental energy away from my own progress, and eventually I shut myself away, and revert to being selfish with my time. 

I've had a full week as far as being an emotional sounding board goes.  There's that guy, and that other guy, and that woman, and there's the really intense one, and the one that breaks my heart...  I hit capacity quickly this week - now I'm trying to avoid shutting down completely.  I think I'm able to stay functional, but holy-moly I'm tired.


Nearly bed time.

Derri.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Iggle-aggle-oddle-adle-ay

Toddler Talk.  The noises junior humans make as they create language pathways in the brain.  This week, I dipped into my meagre energy savings, and visited people I adore, that I'm proud of, and I'm lucky enough to somehow be family to, despite being related to none of them.  It's been a while since I've been around a toddler - I've got other family and friends with younglings; but toddlers are their own class of people. Small humans are as diverse and fascinating as any other group of people.  Yet they're harder to get to know.  A small person's vocabulary is still being filled with words, and a conversation is an exercise in patience.  Truly junior humans, are even harder, as their words are barely that.  With all of them, the trick seems to be giving them a gap long enough to figure out what they want to say.  Even the wee-est seems to understand that I don't   understand, and will try to find a different path of expression. Ma...

Not Today.

Not feeling it this week.  The positive 'self-talk', the silver linings, or the conscious realignment.  It's fucking hard work, constantly correcting the way I think.  Every single fucking thing I do, takes a ridiculous amount of effort.  I don't feel like telling myself well done for doing my laundry (so what?! everyone does laundry!), the fact it's been building up for weeks, and I ran out of clean t-shirts 4 days ago, doesn't change the fact that it's only bloody laundry.  Thanks to the industrial revolution, I don't have to do anything but take my things to a machine, and push some buttons.  Whoop-di-bloody-doo.  I don't want to celebrate doing it. I haven't vacuumed since I moved in.  In October.  The shared hoover is downstairs, and this space is about 8 x 3 paces square.  It should take me all of a few minutes.  When I finally get around to it, I don't deserve praise.  I haven't done my dishes in a while either....

Rollicking Rossini

One of the things I've spoken to my counselor about; is what I DO with my days.  It's not a lot.  It's struggling to get out of bed.  It's finding the motivation to eat something that has some nutritional value.  Time spent trying to find focus to achieve something, anything.  Chapters of books, instead of whole ones.  Small puzzles instead of massive ones.  Amassing enough oomph to go and buy milk.   And lately?  While listening to classical music. Music is profound.  There's a reason you don't play dirges at weddings, the William Tell Overture at funerals, or waltzes at the gym.  Music is an emotional shortcut (this is why movies have soundtracks after all), it signals the appropriate mood for the moment.  Toddlers are the best examples of how music can hot-wire your brain.  Ever seen one stop in the middle of a room when a lively song is heard, and boogie on down?  I've discovered over the last few m...