Skip to main content

Tightrope walking

Sorry, sorry, I know - I've been lax in posting recently.  In my defense, it's the school holidays here, and there's an abundance of apprentice grown-ups in my life - so I've been very busy.

I've spent the majority of the last two weeks spending time with other people's children.  Children I love.  Children who hold significance in my heart.  It's been difficult, and I'm still recovering.  I've learned you can't short-change children.


Another thing I've learned is the cost.  I love these heart children, everything about them, from the littlest at only a few months old, to the group about to hit puberty - they salve a part of me that still bleeds.  The hole left by my own boys.  The boys I allowed to close me out.  The boys I miss every day.  I've become very good at not actively thinking about them.  I try not to actively wonder about what they're doing, or how they're developing - while refusing to let them fade from thought. 

This last couple of weeks has shown me how precarious my balance is. Walking a tightrope is tough, particularly when you lose your center, and have to start from the beginning. 


Ignoring a bleeding wound isn't the same as healing it.  I could begin letting the wound close I suppose - but that would mean no longer holding out hope for reconciliation - and that, I refuse to do.  I have to go on, every day, with the knowledge that my children rejected me.  I have to keep breathing when it feels like a tank is parked on my chest.  I have to hold on for a  'one day' that may never come. 

The end of the tightrope is beyond my vision, my safety net prevents death, not pain, and my balance is rubbish.  I fall off a lot.  Some days I don't move forward at all, I'm too busy not falling.  Others I stay where I fell and cry a lot. 

I don't regret the time spent with other children of my heart.  I love them dearly.  They are the hearth fire of other families though, and my own is cold ashes.


Derri.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Iggle-aggle-oddle-adle-ay

Toddler Talk.  The noises junior humans make as they create language pathways in the brain.  This week, I dipped into my meagre energy savings, and visited people I adore, that I'm proud of, and I'm lucky enough to somehow be family to, despite being related to none of them.  It's been a while since I've been around a toddler - I've got other family and friends with younglings; but toddlers are their own class of people. Small humans are as diverse and fascinating as any other group of people.  Yet they're harder to get to know.  A small person's vocabulary is still being filled with words, and a conversation is an exercise in patience.  Truly junior humans, are even harder, as their words are barely that.  With all of them, the trick seems to be giving them a gap long enough to figure out what they want to say.  Even the wee-est seems to understand that I don't   understand, and will try to find a different path of expression. Ma...

Not Today.

Not feeling it this week.  The positive 'self-talk', the silver linings, or the conscious realignment.  It's fucking hard work, constantly correcting the way I think.  Every single fucking thing I do, takes a ridiculous amount of effort.  I don't feel like telling myself well done for doing my laundry (so what?! everyone does laundry!), the fact it's been building up for weeks, and I ran out of clean t-shirts 4 days ago, doesn't change the fact that it's only bloody laundry.  Thanks to the industrial revolution, I don't have to do anything but take my things to a machine, and push some buttons.  Whoop-di-bloody-doo.  I don't want to celebrate doing it. I haven't vacuumed since I moved in.  In October.  The shared hoover is downstairs, and this space is about 8 x 3 paces square.  It should take me all of a few minutes.  When I finally get around to it, I don't deserve praise.  I haven't done my dishes in a while either....

Rollicking Rossini

One of the things I've spoken to my counselor about; is what I DO with my days.  It's not a lot.  It's struggling to get out of bed.  It's finding the motivation to eat something that has some nutritional value.  Time spent trying to find focus to achieve something, anything.  Chapters of books, instead of whole ones.  Small puzzles instead of massive ones.  Amassing enough oomph to go and buy milk.   And lately?  While listening to classical music. Music is profound.  There's a reason you don't play dirges at weddings, the William Tell Overture at funerals, or waltzes at the gym.  Music is an emotional shortcut (this is why movies have soundtracks after all), it signals the appropriate mood for the moment.  Toddlers are the best examples of how music can hot-wire your brain.  Ever seen one stop in the middle of a room when a lively song is heard, and boogie on down?  I've discovered over the last few m...